Saturday, December 20, 2008

Day 5

It's day 5 of my decluttering fest. I just went through every aspect of my clothing, well except my closet but that I go through that daily.

I'm now going through the boxes on top of my closet, my little storage nook and what I found was not good. I went through near empty boxes full of birthday cards, high school English papers (which were terrible by the way), and toys. Who knew I had kept so many toys? Some were not even worth keeping so I've decided to donate them. But I realized my bedroom is a multi-purpose room and is probably the cause of my insomnia. I can't sleep because there is just too much going on for me to even relax for a second. Now that I've moved back home, this is going to be my bedroom for probably the next one to two years. I cannot have memories of high school romances creeping up on me at night. I need sleep and I need a lot of it.

So I googled a way to declutter my bedroom and I guess I'm not alone in this problem area of my life. A lot of us keep things around. Why is that?

I'm afraid of letting go. I have trouble moving on from anything: high school, college, love, loss. It is all sitting in my room and I am constantly reminded of my past. How am I ever going to go forward if I'm keeping so much of this near me? I keep McDonald's kids meal toys for goodness sakes! I can never grow up in this space.

So here's to being tough and ruthless and tossing out the things that are keeping me down. Material things are only a part of a memory. I guess I'm afraid that I'm going to forget my memories if I let go of things. But I need to let it go. I really do.

A clean space is a clean mind. That's how I always see it. Every time before a huge test, I used to clean my room before I could start studying. So now that I need to start preparing for my life, it's time to de-clutter my space.



While my room will never look like this, I'm trying to get inspired by other bedrooms to see where mine goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin